Testers for DRAFT Sguil on FreeBSD Installation Guide Needed

I announced the availability of Sguil 0.3.0, so I've been working on a new installation guide. I'm not a big Linux fan so I've been wanting to move my document to reflect FreeBSD. Today I completed the install guide and posted it at http://taosecurity.com/install_freebsd_4-9-REL_DRAFT.zip. If you're so inclined, download the installation doc and try it out.

I used FreeBSD 4.9 RELEASE only to have access to that distro's ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-4.9-release/ packages. These are the same as would be found on the 4.9 CD-ROM. The only package I used from the ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-4-stable/ section was OpenSSL, as version 0.9.7c was the latest. It appeared in the stable tree as ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-4-stable/security/openssl-0.9.7c.tgz.

The reason I used the packages and not the ports tree was ease of installation. It can take quite a while to build some ports from source, so I opted for package installations for everything except Sguil, Snort, and Barnyard. The guide uses Snort 2.0.3 which was just released. Thankfully everything worked out fine.

I appreciate any comments people might have on the doc. I'd like to declare the guide "FINAL" by Monday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zeek in Action Videos

New Book! The Best of TaoSecurity Blog, Volume 4

MITRE ATT&CK Tactics Are Not Tactics