Bejtlich Joining Splunk


Since posting Bejtlich Moves On I've been rebalancing work, family, and personal life. I invested in my martial arts interests, helped more with home duties, and consulted through TaoSecurity.

Today I'm pleased to announce that, effective Monday May 21st 2018, I'm joining the Splunk team. I will be Senior Director for Security and Intelligence Operations, reporting to our CISO, Joel Fulton. I will help build teams to perform detection and monitoring operations, digital forensics and incident response, and threat intelligence. I remain in the northern Virginia area and will align with the Splunk presence in Tyson's Corner.

I'm very excited by this opportunity for four reasons. First, the areas for which I will be responsible are my favorite aspects of security. Long-time blog readers know I'm happiest detecting and responding to intruders! Second, I already know several people at the company, one of whom began this journey by Tweeting about opportunities at Splunk! These colleagues are top notch, and I was similarly impressed by the people I met during my interviews in San Francisco and San Jose.

Third, I respect Splunk as a company. I first used the products over ten years ago, and when I tried them again recently they worked spectacularly, as I expected. Fourth, my new role allows me to be a leader in the areas I know well, like enterprise defense and digital operational art, while building understanding in areas I want to learn, like cloud technologies, DevOps, and security outside enterprise constraints.

I'll have more to say about my role and team soon. Right now I can share that this job focuses on defending the Splunk enterprise and its customers. I do not expect to spend a lot of time in sales cycles. I will likely host visitors in the Tyson's areas from time to time. I do not plan to speak as much with the press as I did at Mandiant and FireEye. I'm pleased to return to operational defense, rather than advise on geopolitical strategy.

If this news interests you, please check our open job listings in information technology. As a company we continue to grow, and I'm thrilled to see what happens next!

Comments

Dimitri McKay said…
Welcome to the team!
Unknown said…
Congratulations!
Unknown said…
Congratulations.!!! from Guatemala... I'm reading your book "The Practice of Network Security Monitoring" its great... Thank you.
MattLucas719 said…
Welcome to Splunk, join the DC Meetup if you're bored
Unknown said…
Welcome to Splunk
D. Casey said…
As a Splunk customer and long time blog follower, I am glad to see you take up the sword and shield again. Welcome back to the real fight!

Popular posts from this blog

Zeek in Action Videos

New Book! The Best of TaoSecurity Blog, Volume 4

MITRE ATT&CK Tactics Are Not Tactics